What is a website, and why do I need one?
- What is a website, and why do I need one?
- How do I create a WordPress website for my business or for personal use?
- How much does it cost to build a WordPress website?
- Can I make money with my WordPress site?
- I want to build the site myself. What should I know about this path?
- What do I need to run a website?
- How do I promote my site?
- How to maintain my site in the best shape?
Websites are an essential part of any business. They provide a digital location for your company to be found online, allowing you to interact with potential customers.
A website is a collection of web pages that are indexed by search engines and can be accessed by people with internet connections. A website is typically hosted on a web server, a computer that stores the data for the website and provides access to it over the Internet.
In this article, I will present you, in short, a WordPress guide for beginners to help you make an idea about what is involved in the process.
How do I create a WordPress website for my business or for personal use?
You have two main options: Build it yourself or hire an expert. Both options have pros and cons (in short).
1. Build it yourself:
- mistakes over mistakes;
- learning new things;
- improving new skills and the possibility to monetize them later.
2. Hire a WordPress developer:
- It requires a budget;
- you will need ongoing support;
- Save time to focus on something else;
- The website will look professional;
How much does it cost to build a WordPress website?
If you choose to build it, the cost will be reduced. If you hire someone else, you need a high budget only for the development of the website (not counting the domain name price, hosting price, and any other required licenses for the type of your site.)
Can I make money with my WordPress site?
Yes. You can insert affiliate ads on your site and generate revenue. If the site represents the online image of your brick-and-mortar business, you can generate a better profit because you’ll bring your services and products in front of a larger audience, without borders and limits.
I want to build the site myself. What should I know about this path?
WordPress is an excellent choice for beginners who want to build their website without programming knowledge. It has a user-friendly interface that allows you to upload photos, videos, and text with just a few clicks. All you need to do is install WordPress on your hosting account and create your website from the WordPress dashboard.
You can also learn how to build your business site through tutorials or courses from various sources such as Udemy or YouTube. There are also many tools out there that can help you create a professional-looking site in minutes without any coding knowledge at all.
I encourage people to build their own websites. Like I mentioned above, it is time-consuming, but you’ll learn new skills, so everything is to your advantage.
What do I need to run a website?
In order to run a website, you will need:
- a domain name (the address of your site: Ex: www.websitesseller.com)
- a hosting server (the virtual place where you will store the website files).
- WordPress CMS (FREE) + a WordPress template (free or paid) and a bunch of plugins (depending on your site requirements, features, etc.).
- unique content for your site (text descriptions, representative media content, etc.).
How do I promote my site?
After the development process is complete, you can start to promote your site. You have more ways to promote it:
- Social Media – After you created the social media profiles (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.), you can start posting involving content about your site or your business niche. You can also start to create paid marketing campaigns and promote your site to a broader audience.
- SEO – Costly, but the reward is better than on Social Media and for an extended period.
- Buy ad placement – You can buy ad placement on other sites and forums. It’s a good thing because the audience of these sites and forums is already established, and it’s near to your future audience.
How to maintain my site in the best shape?
Again, you have two options for maintaining your site in the best shape: DIY and pay for a WordPress maintenance service. The main idea is to keep the site updated (the WordPress version, plugins and theme, and also the content itself) and secure (avoid your site being hacked, etc.).